Minutes 16th February 2016

Minutes of the Business and Social meeting held at The High Tide Inn on Tuesday 16th February 2016.


Present: Bobby Lewis and Mary Emment-Lewis, Rob Chick, Dave Bush, Richard Rowe, Melanie and Samuel Weaver, Tony and Ann Williams, John and Janice Bunker, Ann and Rob Lee, Keith Morgan, Sandra Townsend.


Before the meeting commenced RC requested a minutes silence to remember Rowena Millward, a longstanding and very helpful member of the Association, who sadly passed away recently.

  1. Apologies: Ken and Sandy Miller, Ivor and Angela Williams, Margaret Bush, Sheila Thomas, Debbie Chick.
  2. Minutes of the last meeting: Proposed by KM and seconded by M E-L.
  3. Correspondence: DB has heard from friends in SSSL who report that they have had their AGM recently and Valerie is to continue as President for one more year. RC reported that he has had no correspondence from SSSL recently. MW reported that she has received an email from Pencoed Town Twinning stating that they wish to have a joint meeting with Bridgend and ourselves.
  4. Treasurer’s Report: BL reported that we now have approximately £2000 in our bank accounts, having paid PAODS for our advert and RL for the website.
  5. Membership Report: DB reported that we have 83 memberships, having lost 3 recently. Janet Batters has moved to London. Rowena Millward sadly passed away and Lorrie Desmond-Williams has resigned.
  6. Social Secretary’s Report: ME-L reported that we had a good turnout for our Xmas party at the RAFA Club with 3 members attending from Pencoed TT. Entertainment was the usual X factor winner, Ivor and his vocalist Rob Chick which was enjoyed by all. The Secret Santa went down well with nobody swopping presents. The AGM will take place in All Saints Church around the 20th May and will be confirmed in due course. The next social evening may be a silent auction, an antique’s evening at The Prince of Wales, or a fish and chips supper at Beale’s.
  7. Visit to SSSL in August 2016: ME-L reported that there were 23 people who were definitely interested and 2 Provisionals. BL reported that the cost of transport (ferry and coach) was quoted as £6355. This would work out at approximately £200 if we had 30 people participating. Discounts for children would obviously affect this calculation. He has looked into flights but these worked out to be expensive if you took into account the cost of a coach to and from the airport. JB reported that there were suitable flights from Birmingham to Nantes which appeared to be reasonably priced. BL to look further into both options. There was some concern raised about the standard of past coaches. RC stressed the need to encourage school students to participate. MW to contact Gaelle. RC also stressed that we shouldn’t put pressure on people to come on the trip if they didn’t wish to do so.
  8. T’Winner’s draw:

1st Prize:  Ann Lee.    2nd prize:  Sandra Townsend:   3rd prize:  Dave Bush.

AOB: RC praised the latest Newsletter which for the first time has been distributed to our corporate members.  DB stated that St Clare’s School has not yet been presented with their shield and book token. ME-L said that she was happy to do this. KM would take a photo. DB stressed that we should decide how we were going to involve our primary schools. There was a discussion about holding a quiz. ST stated that all schools should be involved.

The sub Committee will hold a meeting to discuss transport arrangements to SSSL on Thursday 3rd March @7.00pm at Flatholme Way (Ann and Robert’s)