Minutes 5th February 2015
Minutes of the Business and Social meeting held at The Hi Tide Inn Thursday 5th February 2015. Chairperson – ME-L in RC’s absence.
Apologies: Anne Rees, Brian Saunders, Megan Taylor, Mike Clarke, Sandra Townsend, Susan Levine, Tom Phillips, Ivor Williams, Rowena Millward, Tony and Ann Williams, Rob Chick. Dave Bush.
- Correspondence: Anne Rees thanked the Association for her retirement card. Gaye Lloyd suggested that some of our French guests might like to go to see the Rhondda symphony orchestra, of which she is a member, at the concert on the Friday night of the Jazz Festival. RC has sent a letter to the Town Council re funding for the French visit. AL sent a letter to KM thanking him for his books which were presented to the Maire of SSSL in August.
- Minutes of the last meeting on 5th January. Proposed by KM and seconded by RL.
- Treasurer’s Report: In the current A /C is £1269 and the D/A £1527.
- Membership Report: DB is absent so no report.
- Social Secretary: ME-L reported that various suggestions have been made for trips for our French guests including Penderyn distillery, Brecon, Trostre Iron works, Mumbles.
- Reindeer Project: RC was not available to discuss this.
- Website: RL has renewed the subscriptions for 2 more years.
- French visit April 2015: Various venues suggested for entertainment. It was decided that Cardiff Castle was too expensive for the Soiree d’Adieu. As 50 guests were hoping to come, it was felt that we needed a large venue. ME-L provisionally booked the Hi Tide Inn for the Friday as it was already booked on the Saturday night. Members were asked how many people they would be able to host. The total was approximately 30. KM to put an advert in the Gem requesting help with hosting.
- AOB: MW introduced us to Gayle, a French teacher from SSSL currently teaching at Porthcawl Comp who has arranged an exchange with the school in SSSL. 25 students and 3 teachers will be arriving on March 19th for 6 days and will be hosted by Porthcawl families. MW suggested a welcome evening involving the school and the Association. She will keep KM informed for the Gem.
- The T’Winners Draw: 1st Prize: Maureen Howells. £100. 2nd Prize: The Hardwicks. £50. 3rd Prize Iris Earland. £25.